Netherlands: Seven Muslims arrested for plotting “major terror attack with suicide vests, assault rifles, car bombs”

Time for the Dutch government to undertake a new study of how to combat “Islamophobia.”

“Dutch police arrest seven men plotting ‘major terror attack with suicide vests, assault rifles and car bombs – masterminded by Iraqi arrested last year for trying to fight with ISIS,’” by Rory Tingle, Mailonline, September 27, 2018:

Dutch police have arrested seven men suspected of planning a major terror plot to attack an event with suicide vests and assault rifles before striking another venue with a car bomb.

The suspects were detained by heavily armed police in the towns of Arnhem, about 62 miles south of Amsterdam, and Weert in the southern Netherlands, close to the borders of Germany and Belgium.

Dutch intelligence believe the alleged ring leader, a 34-year-old Iraqi who was arrested last year for trying to join ISIS, wanted to carry out an attack at the site of a large event in order to cause multiple casualties.

In Arnhem, police backed up by surveillance helicopters forced open a door to a house and threw smoke bombs inside. Explosions were heard, but it is not sure where these came from.

Two of the other suspects, who ranged in age from 21 to 34 and were found with five guns, had also been convicted of trying to join ISIS.

They were also trying to obtain AK47 assault rifles, handguns, bomb vests, grenades and raw materials for bombs and were looking for opportunities to train with the weapons, according to prosecutors.

Officials said that the investigation sped up this month because of the suspects’ ‘advanced preparations’….

The anti-terror coordinator has decided not to raise the threat level in light of the arrests. ‘Jihad networks are also active in the Netherlands with the intention to plot attacks in Europe,’ the office said. ‘Today’s arrests must be seen in that light.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *